Saturday, October 18, 2008

Non-Dairy Coffee Creamer

My morning routine includes drinking two cups of coffee while getting ready for work.  In the past I used Half and Half or heavy cream to lighten my coffee.  More recently I started using non-dairy powdered creamer.  I like the way it tastes, it is convenient, and keeps better than dairy products.  

Today I read the ingredients:

Corn Syrup Solids, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Sodium Caseinate (a Milk Derivative), Dipotassium Phosphate, Mono and Diglycerides, Silicon Dioxide, Artificial Color, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Soy Lecithin, Artificial Flavor.

I investigated the ingredients and found:
Corn syrup solids are a product of HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP (HFCS).  Aside from being absent any nutritional benefit, it adversely affects white blood cells reducing the effectiveness of ones immune system, and it may lead to the development of type II diabetes.   There is much information on the negative health impacts of HFCS.  One example may be found at the following link:  http://www.westonaprice.org/modernfood/highfructose.html

Hydrogenated oils have been implicated or linked to circulatory and hear diseases. 

The remainder of the ingredients listed either lacked available information or were deemed benign.

Considering the above facts along with my family history, which includes heart disease and diabetes, I have concluded the continued use of this product would be unwise.

Therefore - I searched the web to find an alternative, which I have listed below:

1 cup soy milk powder (plain or flavored)
1 2-oz packet coconut cream powder

If you like your creamer sweetened add:
1/4 - 1/2 cup sugar (or equivalent dry sweetener of choice)

Mix all ingredients well.
Store in a jar with a good-fitting lid.
Shake well before each use.
----
To make Soy-Free Coffee Creamer
Use rice milk powder in place of soy milk powder.

I will be testing this recipe today.  I will let you know how this turns out.

1 comment:

AcevedoPhoto said...

Quick Update -

The non-dairy creamer did not turn out well. I blame this on my purchasing the wrong ingredients.

Instead of buying powdered soy milk, I purchased soy protein powder. Even the coconut powder was not powdered.

In order to get it to taste okay, I had to put the coffee and creamer in a blender.

I will keep working with this recipe until I find a tasty and functional mixture.